Friday 10 August 2012

Mini Twine Crochet Baskets


  • 4mm hook
  • Twine (the regular kind I guess) Mine is about 3mm thick and seems fairly course, if your twine is smaller than that, you may need to use a 3mm or 3.5mm hook
  • Large eye darning needle

Magic circle , ch2.
Round 1: 13 dc into ring. Sl st to top of first dc to join.
Round 2: Ch2, 1 dc into same st. 2 dc into each stitch around. Sl st to join.
Round 3: Ch 2. Work 1 dc in each st around IN FRONT LOOP ONLY. Sl st to join.

Rounds 4 and 5: Ch 2. Work 1 dc into each stitch around IN BOTH LOOPS. Sl st to join.

For the basket handle:
Row 1: Ch 2. 1 dc in the next 3 sts.
Row 2: Ch 2, turn. 1 dc in each st across.
Rows 3 to 10 repeat Row 2. Finish off leaving a tail for sewing.

Fold your basket in half to find where you need to attach the other side of the handle. Thread the tail through you needle and sew your handle to the centre on the other side of the basket. Tie a knot to secure it on the inside of your basket and cut the excess.
'Scuse my crappy chipped painted nail there... I had two-toned purple swirly nails for a while but I've been too lazy to take it off

How's that! Pretty neat right? I made a twine crochet flower earlier and suddenly felt inspired to make a basket! This probably already exists somewhere out there in the crafting world but I refuse to look, I want to feel like I'm original for a few minutes :o) You know what I mean, it gets like that sometimes!

I'm not content with my plain 'ole (but insanely cute) twine basket, so I've weaved some thin blue ribbon around the top.. Take a thin bit of ribbon about 58ish cm long.. thread one end through your needle and weave in back and forth along the rim of the basket between the dcs and tie a bow!

So what do you think? Like it? Will you give it a try? Let me know!


2 comments:

  1. Adorable. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!!!! I work on a horse farm and we have lots of twine around I think I'll start saving it for different projects, including this one. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch of bananas for the comments lovelies! I sure do appreciate it you spunky thing you :o)